What some people had to say about this Blog

"I honestly think it's great! It's legit!! I love the look and feel. It reads great too.. Feels very genuine and honest. Houston needs this bad! Its long overdue."
-Alex Luster - Filmmaker/Producer (Stick 'Em Up)

"I think it's really good, the first thing that came to my mind was 'bout fucking time. I like it a whole lot."
-Tino Ortega - Musician/Songwriter (CHangoMan)

"Excelente!!!! Muchas gracias por esa reseña tan buena y sincera. Buenisimo el blog, y me parece que hace falta! "
-Diego Fernández - Musician/Producer (Espantapájaros)

"Let me just say its off the chain! I like how you don't sugar coat it and are so direct with the bands you reviewed."
-Tito Nuñez - Bassist (Paulette)


Monday, July 4, 2011

"Following the Star" by Espantapájaros... What a trip!

I previously posted how "Following the star" the new EP by Espantapájaros had come into my hands and I promised to write a review about it.

The chance to sit down and finally listen to this CD kept dodging me for some time after I got it. I already knew the songs from the time when Pablo, founder and leading vocalist had given them to me in '07 so I thought there couldn't be much difference between them and this, their debut release.

I've always been fond of Espantapájaros and the original recordings are very much to my liking, but I always found their sound to be kind of bland. Such is not the case here... "Following the star" has clearly undergone a total renovation that although alluding of the songs I've become accustomed to, it has now turned into the product it was meant to be. The sound is polished with such detail that it now has an entire new aural anatomy with properties that turn it into a great piece of musical herb that you want to put in your pipe and smoke it. The flow of the songs, from Psicotrópico to Wing Sun Disc, make the entire listening experience very enjoyable and engaging from start to finish. The only downside to this magical trip is that it's too brief and it leaves you jonesing for more. Which brings me to the thought... when is the next CD coming out? That; I don't know... It took a long time for this one to become a reality, but something tells me it won't be long.

Photo by Alma Rosas
So, in the end I have to say that not only is Espantapájaros one of the best bands in Houston... without a doubt. But also that their EP, "Following the star" is definitely worth getting. If you're a fan of soulful, lyrically-rich songs to kick back to, you'll surely enjoy it! Espantapájaros is currently on tour. For a complete list of dates and other details visit their website or follow them on facebook or ReverbNation for more information.

"Following The Star" is available on iTunes

  Espantapájaros - Where Do You Go

No comments:

Post a Comment