What some people had to say about this Blog

"I honestly think it's great! It's legit!! I love the look and feel. It reads great too.. Feels very genuine and honest. Houston needs this bad! Its long overdue."
-Alex Luster - Filmmaker/Producer (Stick 'Em Up)

"I think it's really good, the first thing that came to my mind was 'bout fucking time. I like it a whole lot."
-Tino Ortega - Musician/Songwriter (CHangoMan)

"Excelente!!!! Muchas gracias por esa reseña tan buena y sincera. Buenisimo el blog, y me parece que hace falta! "
-Diego Fernández - Musician/Producer (Espantapájaros)

"Let me just say its off the chain! I like how you don't sugar coat it and are so direct with the bands you reviewed."
-Tito Nuñez - Bassist (Paulette)


Thursday, June 24, 2010

This is Selma, simply one of the most delightful bands I've ever heard.

I found Selma on myspace in late 2008, when I was searching for new bands to add to my roster of Latin Rock acts. They are from Guadalajara, México and are as bohemian as musicians can get. I actually became a fan of the band because I enjoy their music, I respect the love and effort they put into it and I know the hardships they've gone through to get it recorded. So it was with great satisfaction that I received their demos.
The first thing that jumped at me was the voice emitted by the recordings, making their way into my ears and creating a sensation of pure elation... The only thing I could think was "Who's that girl with the angelic voice?"

Selma is made up of four people, some are true artists and some it would seem, are purely there by chance, but all are committed to the project.
I got to know some of them via chat and e-mail during the course of more than two years and as I learned the story of how the band came to be, I was actually surprised at their musical pairing. Their music is simple and unique in many ways; They're not a band in search of the perfect guitar riff or the catchiest of choruses. Their songs are very melodic and the lyrics are well-written. The almost ethereal sound of Janet Camargo's (the lead singer) perfect-pitched voice and her heartfelt interpretation give Selma a touch no other band has and very few ever possess.

Although they seemed worlds apart, I attributed their melodious chemistry to the unique and sometimes tumultuous relationship these friends share, but what amazed me the most was the fact that they had managed to stay together for so long, specially considering the things they've gone through. As we continued communicating, they kept working on new music and trying to sort out all the troubles plaguing the band, ironing out any new bumps along the way. I've kept in touch with them for years, actually holding great expectations and the illusion of someday being able to work with them. And just as I thought I had actually earned their trust and respect, the band was finally torn apart by something none of us had foreseen. A pleasant surprise caused priorities to change and the band was now breaking up due to personal issues.

I've tried to keep in touch with Selma but it's become more difficult. Last I heard, most troubles have been resolved, but Janet was trying to work on new songs for her solo project and the chance of them getting back together is no where in sight. I honestly doubt that will ever happen. In the meantime, I'm pleased to share this track, from the only set of songs ever released by Selma on their EP from 2009.

  Selma - Fiesta negra

Selma is on facebook, waiting for you to discover them.

No comments:

Post a Comment